For the last two weeks I’ve been on a mad hunt for a RV. I’m trying to be patient, educate myself, and make the wisest buying decision.
The more I look around, the more I’m confused. There are so many questions to ask yourself…
1. Class A RV or Truck with a 5th Wheel? Â I’m inclined to think RV, preferably a Diesel Pusher.
2. Buy something in the $40,000 to $60,000 range, or go Big-Pimpen with a rig in the $120,000’s? I took a look at some in the low 100’s today, and they were gorgeous. I’m really leaning towards one of the really nice ones, but need to be somewhat wise about it financially. After all, I may not even dig being in this thing for any extended amount of time.
3. Is no Washer & Dryer a deal breaker? This is a tough question. I really want a washer/dryer aboard.
4. Can I really watch TV on a 13 inch in the bedroom? Probably not since I’m used to having 3 huge plasma/lcd TV’s in the house.
5. If I have a lady friend in the RV, can I drop a deuce in the bathroom without grossing her out? Important question.
6. Should I tow a vehicle behind me? Â I’m thinking yes one minute, no the next. Maybe the best thing is to start out with no vehicle and if it’s a major bitch, I’ll just buy one on the road.
7. What if you get stuck in some shitty dead end spot and can’t back up? Â Yeah, that’s freaking me out.
8. What about California? I love Cali. It’s my home. I’m not leaving this place for long. I’ll be back all the time (can’t give up surfing). San Diego is my home. I’ll just be away from home some weeks.
9. Will my dog have a blast on the road? I sure hope so. I started reading Steinbeck’s “Travels With Charley” per a John Carlton recommendation. I’ll probably reread Kerouac’sÂ “On The Road” another time as well.
10. I could probably write another ten questions in here, but lastly I’ll ask myself… “How long are you gonna tour in the RV?” Â No idea at all, and I don’t want to put many restrictions on my travels.
So here’s the rig I’ve been thinking of getting…
It’s got less than 20,000 miles, and looks really clean inside.
The price of this rig is fair and something that is on my list of ones to really consider.
In about an hour I’m heading up to San Juan Capistrano to look at another vehicle. It will make about the 15th I’ve looked at today.
I’m not sure it’s what I’m looking for, but I’m just trying to be open minded.
So, being open minded I’m all for some advice. Have you ever traveled in a RV?
Is it a huge hassle to dump human waste? Do the bathrooms get nasty? Any places to avoid? Any places I must see?
Cmon RV’ers, let me know what you know.